Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Coconuts, Coconuts, Coconuts

We have seen soooo..... many videos demonstrating the opening of young coconuts. We've seen hatchets, hammers, and jabbing/stabbing knives. I don't particularly want either of my daughters to lose a finger or hand just to enjoy this precious treat. So when we found this latest method, we were thrilled.

My daughters had a real hoot this afternoon making this video for us. Unfortunately, a few of the coconuts had already turned, so they just kept opening more. At least you get to see how easy it is each time.

My 16yo daughter just shaves off the cone top, finds that "just right" spot, and voila! Beautiful, sweet coconut water. As Serene Allison says, they are truly gifts from God.










My husband and I bought these crystal glasses at William Sonoma and keep them in the freezer. They are perfect for the delicate taste of young coconut water. The thin rim of the crystal and the ice cold taste is wonderful.




My daughters choose the more rustic form of drinking their treat. Just stick in a straw and sip.

2 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

oooh, those glasses make for such an elegant presentation for the young coconut water - looks divine!!

the photographs on your blog are positively magnificent - I really enjoy looking at them! I follow a high-raw vegan diet (I eat 75%-80% raw, all the time), so it's always fun to "meet" fellow raw bloggers :0)

And thank you for your lovely comment on my blog!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE coconut water either in a pretty glass or straight from the 'nut. It makes me so supremely happy to drink it- sounds silly to say it, but I just love it that much.

You had commented on my blog that going raw allowed you to lower your thyroid meds to the lowest dosage. That is great! Did you even worry about not eating certain vegetables, like I worry? Maybe those "goitrogens" haven't been a problem for you?